£10.00 OFF your first full Hatfield Physiotherapy / Sports Physio Consultation & Treatment during WINTER 2013* Now only £32.00 (usually £42). * Call Reception Now on Hatfield 01707 888229 *.
Physiotherapists and occupational therapists should be part of the team caring for you if you have arthritis. The two professions often work closely together to help people become independent. They can help prevent deformities in children and adults with arthritis.
Chartered physiotherapists are specialists in human movement who aim to help people keep active and free of pain. They’re often based in hospital departments, but some work from family health centres.
They can provide a number of services, including:
- Advice on how you can minimise the impact of arthritis on your lifestyle and work
- Pain-relieving treatments such as electrotherapy, massage and sometimes acupuncture
- Hydrotherapy – exercise sessions in heated water can improve mobility and lessen pain
In addition, physiotherapists can also teach arthritis sufferers:
- Specially designed exercise programmes to mobilise your joints and strengthen your supporting muscles
- Relaxation techniques to reduce the stress and muscle tension that can make arthritis seem worse
Physiotherapists sometimes run group sessions, where you can learn exercises and meet people with similar problems.
If your rheumatologist doesn’t refer you to a physiotherapist, ask your GP. You can also consult a physiotherapist privately at The Hatfield Physiotherapy Practice call 01707 888229, or contact the Organisation of Chartered Physiotherapists in Private Practice. Always look for physiotherapists with MCSP after their name – this means they’ve completed a high standard of training.